Like Anne, I’m so glad to live in a world with Octobers. Can you imagine if we didn’t? As Anne says, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn’t it? Look at these maple branches. Don’t they give you a thrill—several thrills? I’m going to decorate my room with them.” (Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables)
With autumn on my mind and Anne Shirley as my inspiration, here are some creative ideas for making your October special, Kindred Spirits!
Bake an Anne Dessert:
“There’s so little scope for imagination in cookery. You just have to go by rules. The last time I made a cake I forgot to put the flour in.” -Anne Shirley
It’s finally cool enough to bake where I live, and I’m so excited for baked goods. I’ve tried a few new recipes this past year, and I love to bake tarts and pies.
- Work on your cake baking skills!
- Try your hand at an apple pie or turnover
- Don’t forget to check your ingredient list and set a timer!
- Try a new recipe!
The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook, compiled by Kate Macdonald, one of Montgomery’s grandchildren, includes recipes for Diana’s Raspberry Cordial, Marilla’s Plum Pudding, and Anne’s Liniment Cake. It’s a beautiful book with full-color photos of the recipes inside. You can order it here for yourself or a friend. Or enter my giveaway here for a limited time (closes 10/22/21).
My friend Tammy introduced this blueberry tart recipe to me last year – and it’s divine! I’ve made it at home myself, so I can attest that you do not have to be an expert baker to pull this one off well:
Read Anne-ish Books:
“I suppose I must finish up my lessons. I won’t allow myself to open that new book Jane lent me until I’m through. But it’s a terrible temptation, Matthew.” -Anne Shirley
- Read Tennyson’s poems
- Read Ben Hur!
- Enjoy a good mystery and get deliciously spooked
- Read an old-fashioned romance
- Or re-read some of the Anne books (or all of them!)
To see a collection of beautiful Anne covers, check out this post by Tea & Ink Society. I’ve been collecting the dreamy Tundra covers over the last year. I also have the Starfire classic collection as well, which my daughter has been reading and borrowing from my shelves:
Enjoy the Fall Foliage:
“Diana and I are reading a perfectly magnificent book and there’s a Lover’s Lane in it. So we want to have one, too.” -Anne Shirley
- Go on a long walk
- Find a new trail to explore
- Rename the lanes and walks near your home
- Find your own Lovers Lane
- Walk by a Lake of Shining Waters
- Gather autumn leaves and foliage to decorate your table at home
Buy a new dress or sweater:
“Puffed sleeves are so fashionable now. It would give me such a thrill, Marilla, just to wear a dress with puffed sleeves.” -Anne Shirley
- Look for a new outfit with puffed sleeves – of course! They are back and better than ever! From sweaters to blouses to dresses, puff sleeves are taking over the world of fashion, and I couldn’t be happier!
- Don’t go skimpy on material – look for romantic, oversized sleeves
- Find something that flatters your figure
- Enjoy the range of fall colors that are popular now: rust, plum, dusty pink, goldenrod, forest green, and wine
Enjoy the Stage:
“Of course you must be Elaine, Anne,” said Diana. “I could never have the courage to float down there.”
- Go see a play locally
- Host a screening of the 1985 Anne of Green Gables film at your house
- Gather your friends together and recreate the Lily Maid (minus the sinking boat)
- Read chapters of Anne of Green Gables out loud with a bosom friend
- Watch Megan Follows’ audition for Anne of Green Gables (Sullivan Entertainment)
Host a tea party:
“Oh, Marilla!” Anne clasped her hands. “How perfectly lovely! You are able to imagine things after all or else you’d never have understood how I’ve longed for that very thing. It will seem so nice and grown-uppish. No fear of my forgetting to put the tea to draw when I have company. Oh, Marilla, can I use the rosebud spray tea set?”
- Invite your bosom friend(s) over for a tea party!
- Make raspberry cordial for refreshment
- Bake a cake (but don’t forget the flour)
- Decorate with “an abundances of roses and ferns”
- Get out your favorite tea set
These are just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing. What else do you like to do during the Fall to fully enjoy the season?
Grace and peace,
Let’s keep in touch:
Subscribe to my blog
for articles on literature, faith, and my writing adventures!
Order signed books here on my web site!
Each autographed book comes with a matching bookmark.
Elsie @ Tea and Ink SocietyOctober 19, 2021 at 6:54 pm
Hi Rachel, I wanted to thank you for mentioning my Anne book covers post! Also, I LOVE that puffed sleeves picture!! That is perfect.
Rachel DodgeOctober 22, 2021 at 10:27 am
I love your post and site!! Isn’t the puffed sleeves picture fun? My husband helped me make that.
Elsie @ Tea and Ink SocietyOctober 27, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Yes! I shared it in our Tea and Ink Facebook group with a link back here!
Heather BarnesOctober 20, 2021 at 9:36 am
We had teas for about three years in a row, several years ago, it was so fun! It was a great way to get our girlfriends all together.
Also, “Ben Hur”?! I’m intrigued.
Rachel DodgeOctober 22, 2021 at 10:29 am
I was giggling to myself about Ben Hur. I haven’t actually read it, but I keep thinking I should because of Anne: “Miss Stacy caught me reading Ben Hur in school yesterday afternoon when I should have been studying my Canadian history.” It must be exciting. I’ve only seen the movie. lol
Barb FOctober 24, 2021 at 9:53 pm
I really enjoy your website, & I love Anne of Green Gables it is one of my favorite series.
Rachel DodgeOctober 26, 2021 at 1:33 pm
Thank you so much for reading! I love the series, too!